Being sick on vacation is not fun, but it’s important to find ways to enjoy yourself no matter what. First thing to do is get plenty of rest and take vitamins! Keeping water in your reusable bottle is the best way to ensure you’re getting all the hydration you need. Not sure if you’re drinking enough? Think about how much you weigh and divide that number in half; that is how many ounces of water you should drink per day. Wash your hands and disinfect yourself and your surroundings regularly! Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes are a must.
Here are some great Island remedies:
- Headache: Take two aspirin and watch the sunset on Bean Point.
- Sinus Infection: Swim in the Gulf; the saltwater helps clear up the sinus passages.
- Anxiety: Take a fishing trip.
- Upset stomach: Stick to the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, apples, and toast. Go to the General Store and get some apple cider. Mix it with water and honey to alleviate the cramping feeling in your tummy. But of course always have Pepto Bismol on hand!
- Sunburn: A great home remedy is fat-free milk. The milk creates a protein film on your skin that will help ease the discomfort of fresh sunburn. You can also buy aloe vera creams from CVS or Walgreens that will cool your skin after a bad burn.
- Stressed: Indulge yourself at a Salon on Anna Maria Island. Book a stress relieving message, facial and manicure.
Believe it or not, vacations are a frequent cause of stress! Just thinking about all the packing, flying and non-stop sightseeing is enough to make your head spin. Don’t just take a vitamin pill – take a chill pill.
After an exciting day of swimming, sunbathing, shopping or sightseeing, hit the sack for at least seven hours straight. A comfy bed will make this process easy – you can find one in comfy vacation home from Island Real Estate. Keep your immune system working hard by snacking on fruits, veggies, and nuts. Drinking coffee or alcohol right before bedtime will inhibit quality sleep, so substitute decaf tea when possible.
Set the tone for the day each morning with a yoga routine, a jog, entry in your “vacation diary” or some scenery absorbing out on your balcony.