When visiting Anna Maria Island there are plenty of fitness activities to keep you feeling healthy during your paradise getaway. Enjoy a great vacation guilt free when you try out these Top 11 fitness activities on Anna Maria Island.
Top 11 Fitness Activities
1. Going to the gym: Kick boxing class with Reggie is best! I love working out with my personal trainer Brenda and doing the different boot camps offered! Recently Island Fitness has relocated to the Anna Maria Island Center formerly known as the Anna Maria Island Community Center.
– Island Fitness: 407 Magnolia, Anna Maria City, FL 34216
– Phone: (941) 778-5200
2. Fit Crew: Great boot camp style work out (very similar to CrossFit) sometimes they have a beach work out on AMI!
– First class is free! Come and see if you like it!
– 608 19th Ave West, Bradenton, FL 34205
– Phone : (941) 447-9272
3. Bike riding from the Anna Maria Island to the Robinson Preserve and back. If you are looking for other parks nearby check out our list here.
– I love the 11 mile back ride, easily done in 1 hour, always able to spot local wildlife!
– Robinson Preserve: 1112 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205
Phone: (941) 748-4501
4. Bike riding to Harry’s Continental Kitchen on Longboat Key.
– The food is amazing!
– This is about a 16 mile bike ride.
– Harry’s continental Kitchen: 5600 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, FL 34228
– Phone: (941) 383-0777
Insider tip: The Coquina Bike path is a great low key bike path that takes you off the streets and lets you bike on a side walk close to the Beach!
5. Paddle boarding or kayaking around the bayous and gulf side. Love the workout and being able to be out on the water while getting a tan!
9. Go Legs Spin Studio very close to IMG Academies. Hour long spin sessions and toning with weights.
– 2 projectors in the studio to watch music videos and replays of real
Cycle races such as the Tour de France.
– 3549 53rd Ave. West, Bradenton, FL 34210
– Phone: (941) 896-7885
If you are looking to enjoy a little night life while visiting Anna Maria Island we have got you covered! Here is our top ten night spots on Anna Maria Island. By the way in no particular order and tried to include the normal outfits found for patrons visiting the night spot. We would classify night spots into three categories; Motorcycle bar, Coastal Vacationer bar, Local bar or a mixture of Vacationer and Local.
Top Ten Night Spots
1.Hurricane Hanks– Laid-back sports bar with a fantastic menu! I have never had a bad meal at Hurricane’s so grab a drink and enjoy some great eat’s. My father love’s grabbing a gin and tonic with the scallops and bacon appetizer. Business casual is normally the outfits found at Hurricane Hanks and this is a mixture of Coastal Vacationer and Locals.
5346 Gulf Drive,
Holmes Beach, FL
2. Island Time Bar & Grill– Great atmosphere with live music & a tasty menu! Coastal casual wear is what would be found at Island time and this is a mixture of Coastal Vacationer and Locals.
111 Gulf Drive
South Bradenton Beach, FL 34217
3.Cortez Kitchen– Located not too far off the Cortez Bridge, this outdoors, laid back restaurant most likely will have a live band, good food, and a good time in store for you. Good mix of coastal visitors and locals makes this a good choice for any type of evening you are looking for.
4528 119th Street West Cortez, FL 34215
4. Bridge Tender Inn & Dockside Bar– Inside is the sports bar and restaurant, outside’s a tiki bar with live music, right on the water, and even a flat screen for game days! Located in Bradenton Beach just of Bridge Street. Parking can be a challenge so bring your patience or ride the trolley! Good mixture of Coastal Vacationers and Locals.
155 Bridge Street
Bradenton Beach, FL, 34217
5. Dcoy Ducks – Great nightspot with live music, poker nights and more! Located in the heart of Holmes Beach right next to the Feast. Go grab some fabulous food at the Feast and walk less than 30 feet to Dcoy Duck’s! Normal outfit would be a tshirt with some casual shorts. Leather could be included but this is a good mix of visitors and locals that patronize this bar. Mixture of locals, coastal vacationers and motorcyle patrons.
5410 Marina Drive,
Holmes Beach, FL
6. Drift Inn– Small town bar on historic bridge street. Normal outfit could include a little leather but likely includes a t-shirt and some torn up blue jeans. More of a feel of motorcycle patrons along with locals.
120 Bridge Street,
Bradenton Beach, FL
7. Anchor Inn– Friendly bar with pool tables and darts. This is one of several local bars located just South of Publix. Normal outfit would include a little leather. More of a feel of motorcycle patrons along with locals.
3007 Gulf Drive,
Holmes Beach, FL
8. Bortells – Pinball, video games, and pool tables. Normal outfit would include a little leather and some blue jeans.
10002 Gulf Drive
Anna Maria, FL
9. The Doctor’s office is located within a short 2-3 minute stroll from the Feast or Dcoy Ducks. The Doctor’s Office is a craft cocktail bar. They have small bites, wine, beer and some unique cocktails to offer. This is a very quaint and cozy bar that reminds me more of a cigar parlor with comfy seats and fabulous staff that works to meet your every whim. Normal outfit would be business casual and this has strong coastal vacationer feel.
5312 Holmes Blvd
Holmes Beach, FL
10. Slim’s– Great place to watch sports! Great food, billiards and live entertainment. This for sure is a local hang out and many nights they host after party teams from the Anna Maria community Center extracurricular evening sports activities. Normal outfit would be coastal wear with some shorts. Coastal vacationer and local hangout.
9701 Gulf Dr.
Anna Maria, FL
We have plenty of more suggestions for places to visit while on Anna Maria Island. Visit our nightlife information page.
By the way – there is no reason to drink and drive on Anna Maria Island. Check out the free monkey bus or the free Anna Maria Island Trolley for plans to let someone else handle the heavy lifting while out on the town!
Outdoor Dining Anna Maria Island is the quintessential way to hang out in beautiful tropical climate! There’s nothing better than when going out to grab a bite to eat or drinks, having the warm island breeze surrounding you. Some of the wonderful restaurants I’ve listed below have beautiful water views of either the crystal clear Gulf or Bay, or an open-air setting directly across the street from the beach.
The fresh air of AMI always makes your food taste that much better and your drinks that much tastier, bringing you relaxing vibes that will be sure to lift your spirit. I have suggested different places from smaller and more quant spots, to casual any-time spots, to romantic night spots.
Anna Maria Island Wildlife – Here on Anna Maria Island we have beautiful beaches and all of the Beaches along the Gulf of Mexico on Anna Maria Island are public. There are private entries and Public Beaches with lots of parking but once you get to the sand and Gulf waters, the beaches are everyone’s to enjoy. You can find a beach access point almost anywhere on the island, just look down the street from your house.
There are three main Public Beaches on Anna Maria Island: Bay Front Park, Manatee Public Beach, and Coquina Beach. Bay Front Park is located at the north end of the Island in the City Of Anna Maria. At Bay Front Park you will find quite beaches, spectacular views of the Sky Way Bridge, and offers lots of free parking, covered picnic tables, grills, public restrooms, and a play ground on the beach for children.
Manatee Public Beach is located in Holmes Beach where Manatee Avenue runs right into the Gulf of Mexico. Manatee Public Beach has free parking, picnic tables, public restrooms, a playground on the beach for children, a café right on the beach with food and drinks, and a lifeguard on duty.
Coquina Public Beach is located in Bradenton Beach just south of Bridge Street at the south end of Anna Maria Island. Coquina Public Beach has lots free parking, picnic tables, grills, public restrooms, a play ground on the beach for children, a café right on the beach with food and drinks, and a lifeguard on duty.
We hear many questions regarding, which beach is the best to go to? All of our beaches have white sugar sand with some shells on the beach depending on the rise and fall of the tide. The number of people on the beach can be dramatically different depending on where you are. Anna Maria City beaches are the quietest followed by Holmes Beach then Bradenton Beach. When comparing our beaches to most other Florida beaches we are VERY quiet.
There is plenty of entertainment to be found on our gorgeous beaches, Shelling, Bird Watching, just walking along the beach or searching for the perfect vacation rental or “peace of paradise”. Going to the beach is the perfect way to relax and enjoy the moment!
If you are interested in hiking, biking or just taking in the wonderful wildlife on and around Anna Maria Island be sure to visit our great post on Wildlife on Anna Maria.
Hey dudes and dude-ettes!! You’re back with The Island Kid right here on Kids Corner, the best place to get the best news on Anna Maria Island. I’m here today to tell you guys about the absolute best places on the island to get your ice cream fix. Now, here on Anna Maria Island, there are plenty of places you can go if you want a frozen treat to eat. But if you’re unsure of which places are best and which places to rule out. Read on for good info!
Best Places for Ice Cream on Anna Maria Island
1: Two Scoops: This ice cream shop is a small shop nestled between Two Sides of Nature and across from the Anna Maria City Pier. With 32 rotating flavors, some as weird as blueberry pie and as normal as your classic vanilla, your pallet will always be pleased. They also have pastries, assorted lunch foods, and candy bars.
2: Dips: An ice cream shop near Three Island Monkeys and The Loft #5 in Anna Maria, this itty-bitty place packs the punch when it comes to ice cream. With thousands of flavors and topping variations, your experience will never be a bore. Plus the classic candies and toys on the wall are great for a trip down memory lane.
3: Stir it Up: Recently opened on Pine Avenue, this is a frozen yogurt shop with some colorful walls. . . and toppings, too! Pick a flavor or two, or all of them, then add the topping(s) of your choice. This place charges by the ounce, so take as much as you desire. With many revolving flavors and 36 different garnishes, the possibilities are endless! 🙂
4: Joe’s Eats and Sweets: This place is the bomb.com. It’s got everything from chocolate to cotton candy & nerds and more! They also have pie on a stick-yes, on a stick- and various types of milkshakes and malts. This place is big colorful building right near Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach, so climb the steps, and check it out!
5: Holy Cow: No, I’m not shocked, they just have really good ice cream! This place has many different combos of flavors and toppings, plus much more. They include a little mini gift shop inside the shop, plus indoor and outdoor seating. So feel free to enjoy your ice cream while browsing the trinkets.
(Bonus Insider Tip: One more for good measure- Tyler’s Ice Cream is just over the bridge in Cortez Village. Well worth the jaunt to enjoy some delicious gourmet flavors-literally hundreds over the years! They have locally themed, as well as delicious classic flavors…and finding out what their latest is, is always part of the fun. Their ice cream sandwiches are delish! But creating your own flavor of shake just can’t be beat!
Bonus Bonus tip – about 15 minutes off Anna Maria Island is a fantastic custard shop called Sweet Berries. They mix all kinds of goodies in their custard ice cream and call it a concrete. yum!
Whether you’re looking for just one spot or want try them all, these places are the best on the island. So next time you’re visiting, go check ’em out! Let us know what you thought, and check back with us here on Kid’s Corner.
Hey kids! You’ve made your way back to Kids Corner, the #1 island blog written by kids, for kids. I’m here to talk about one of the best Asian food places on the island, Ocean Star. Not only does it have awesome food, but the atmosphere is very realistic and entertaining. Read on if you want to learn more.
Ocean Star is this great sushi and Japanese food restaurant located at the Galati Marina. It has the most yummiest sushi and dumplings you’ve ever tasted. And no matter what you like there’s something on the menu to amuse everyone.
So let’s start with the food. Honestly, I would have to say that sushi is their specialty. My favorite has to be the Hawaiian Role-Tuna and Cream Cheese tempura with eel sauce-soooo good! I mean, the other items I have tried on the menu were fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but I think the thing they spend more time perfecting their sushi than anything else. But if you’re not exactly the sushi type, Ocean Star has plenty of other options for you. They make a variety of tempura dishes (fried veggies and fish – finger food that satisfies even people like my brother). They also serve many different types of rice, dumplings, soups, noodles, and even steak, to satisfy your hunger. So feel free to eat up and enjoy!
Next, the atmosphere. As soon as you walk in the door, it’s as if you’ve entered a whole different world. In short, it’s very different than your everyday mealtime. You can eat at a table, in a booth, at the bar, or in a canopied-in booth with strips of seating area all around the table. To add to the realistic Japanese ambiance, the lights are dim and the chefs are constantly preparing food right in front of you, which adds to the awesome mood.
So, to conclude, Ocean Star is a fun, awesome restaurant that serves great food, has a fantabulous atmosphere, and is a great place to eat whether you have a special event or are just looking for a cool place to eat for dinner or lunch. Well, i gotta go. See ya l8tr. Byeeeee!!!!!!!!
Don’t miss you chance to be a part of the 3rd Annual Easter Bonnet Contest March 30th, 2013 on Anna Maria Island. The contest will begin at 10am in the parking lot located at 315 Pine Avenue in the City of Anna Maria. The Easter Bonnet contest will have a 1st place winner for children and a 1st place winner for the adults. 1st place winner in the adults contest will win a 2 night stay at the Anna Maria Guest House on Pine Avenue. 1st place winner in the children’s contest will win a lunch party for 4 at the Sandbar Restaurant. Check out our Easter Egg hunt information page.
Sorry this event has come and gone however Mary Ann’s Castaway Tavern in Bradenton Beach has events each week. Visit their Facebook page for more accurate information.
Want more information on more musical events on and off Anna Maria Island? Visit our music information page for more ideas of things to do while visiting Anna Maria.
Head down to Bradenton Beach for a Tribute to Rod Stewart with Michael Silbaugh tonight Friday March 1st , 2013 at Mary Ann’s Castaway Tavern in Bradenton Beach! Mikey hits the stage from 8:00pm – 11:00pm See you there!
Sorry, this festival no longer happens on Anna Maria Island each year as of 2016. Don’t worry, there are plenty of other festivals on Anna Maria Island in the Spring. Visit the Anna Maria Island Information page for details on upcoming events.
For now, here are details of the 2013 Holmes Beach Founders day Festival. Grab your lawn chairs and head to Holmes Beach to celebrate Anna Maria Island history. Island Cityfest 2013 “A Holmes Beach Founders Day Festival “ will be held at the Holmes Beach City Hall Field this Friday & Saturday featuring a classic car show, kids activities, food, drinks, a historical presentation, and live music!
So here’s what I would do if I wasn’t working today! I would drive past my office in Holmes Beach and head straight to Bay Front Park in Anna Maria, unload my bicycle and go for a ride. As my stomach starts to grumble with hunger I would stop at the Rod N Reel Pier for some breakfast. Remember that breakfast is the most important meal of the day even if you’re eating bacon, eggs, & home fries at your favorite island restaurant.
After breakfast it’s time for a little adventure so I would go see my friends at Yolo Parasail for a relaxing boat ride and sky high view of Anna Maria Island. If you have never been parasailing off the coast of Anna Maria Island you should put it on your to do list!
As the morning comes to an end and the afternoon is just about to begin I would go soak up some rays on Holmes Beach for a couple of hours while looking at the amazing pictures I took from my parasailing adventure. If you are at one of the public beaches you can enjoy some ice cream too.
Now it’s time to go see my good friends at Segs By The Sea in Bradenton Beach for a SEGWAY tour. We start our tour on Bridge Street and head to the beach. Travelling south along the paved beach path through Coquina Beach and up over the Longboat Key Bridge and back. If you have never been on a SEGWAY before don’t worry one of the fabulous tour guides will teach you how to ride, and in about five minutes you will be comfortable and confident on a SEGWAY.
As the Sun is setting on our return trip to Bridge Street the day is almost over but the night is just beginning and now I’m hungry once again. In the mood for good food and live music I head just a couple of doors down to The Blue Marlin where I meet friends and family for diner & drinks. The Blue Marlin is famous for their fresh fish & seafood that they purchase daily from local seafood markets. I’m not the biggest seafood lover but absolutely love the burgers, steak sandwich, and of course ice cold beer outside in the Trap Yard where on the weekends you can enjoy live entertainment from local musicians.
So that’s what I would do if I wasn’t working in paradise today… But I am working today at Island Real Estate on Anna Maria Island and would like to get you here too!
Tell us your story on facebook title it my perfect day on Anna Maria Island and let us know what you did or would do… “Remember life’s better on the beach!”