(Note, there are several links below with further information. Just look for the underlined items…example, this link is to Island Real Estate’s web site.)
10. Go gift shopping…There are lots of shops on the island in Anna Maria City, Holmes Beach, and Bradenton Beach. Don’t spend all your time looking for the perfect trinkets or gifts for the dog or house sitter…but it’s allowed to spend one or two afternoon’s checking out our local artistic and craft flavor. Don’t forget to try out the FREE Anna Maria Island trolley that runs the entire length of the island. This makes traveling the island carefree, what more could you ask for?
9. Take a day trip…Heading South down to Sarasota is a neat experience and the journey provides plenty of entertainment. Take Gulf Drive South through Longboat Key and enjoy the Gulf scenery on the 30 minute drive South. If you have children go to the Mote Aquarium which has fantastic things to do for children. When complete with Mote, go just down the street to St. Armand’s Circle where you can take in lunch or dinner and briefly walk through shops in the early evening. You can also make St. Armand’s circle an entire day trip for those of you that are shop-a-holics. Just be sure to bring lots of money, it’s not uncommon to see T-shirts for $25 – $50 per pc.
8. Grab a kite, Frisbee, football, volleyball and get out on the beach and get some exercise. Throw it around with your children. Build a sandcastle or just a wall that holds back the Gulf water. So much to do on the gorgeous white sandy beaches of Anna Maria Island.
7. Rent a bicycle and ride around Anna Maria City. There is something great about biking up and down the streets of Anna Maria City. Start at White avenue and work you way North up the streets. Be sure to take a ride down Beach and Park while the Huge trees still exist. They are gorgeous and offer a once in a life time view of PURE nature. Bicycle riding also lets you search for your next vacation rental or “peace” of paradise. There is nothing like searching for Real Estate while feeling the breeze through you hair. If Real Estate is more your speed, check out our properties for sale.
6. Anna Maria City Piers…Go up to Anna Maria City and take a walk on the Historic Anna Maria City Pier at the end of Pine Avenue or walk the pier at the Rod and Reel Restaurant. If you try the public city pier at the end of pine street, stop at the outdoor plaza just across the street where you can find great shopping and even better, ICE CREAM. Grab a ice cream cone and walk the pier or grab lunch or Dinner at Rod and Reel pier. If you like fishing, bring a fishing pole and pick up an inexpensive fishing license and try fishing off one of the piers.
5. Take a Nap…So you know you have achieved “Anna Maria” relaxation if you are able to take a nap in the mid day. I know, this is too good to be true especially if you have young children. I can promise you if you make this a priority it can happen on Anna Maria. There is nothing better than hitting the beach in the morning, having a bite to eat, and then taking a mid day nap! aaaahhhh
4. Local Dining….Go to a local burger hang out and eat like the locals. There are several fabulous local dining areas where you can pony up to the bar or just have a good down to earth hamburger with french fries. If you are still not out of the work mode and you want to multi task then hit the Manatee public beach and eat lunch at Cafe on the Beach or at Skinny’s just across the street. If you have been successful in your journey to RELAXATION and multi-tasking is not necessary then try Hurricane Hanks, Duffy’s, or Rod and Reel pier.
3. Shelling…Walking the beach looking for nature’s little treasures is a wonderful way to unwind. This is one of the best things to do on your first day of your vacation. I often find it difficult to unwind from work so creating a task for myself lets me take step one of many steps before I can just lay on the beach and do nothing. Going cold turkey and laying on the beach the first day can be difficult for a lot of people so searching for shells conveniently has a goal and your children canparticipate in the fun!
2. Of course, Go to the beach…have a day or several days at the beach. A beach umbrella can make a summer visit a little more enjoyable but there is no better way to relax but to go to the beach and enjoy the Gulf of Mexico. Remember, leaving items behind or equipment on the beach overnight is a big no-no. Sea turtles climb up on the beach at night and can easily get caught up in beach equipment and die. Reminder no dogs allowed on any Anna Maria Island Beaches.
1. Walk, Drink, watch a Sunset…Take a walk about 2 hours prior to Sunset time. Either bring beverages with you or stop in at one of many of the Gulf Front Restaurant’s on the island and have an appetizer, cold beverage, reconnect with family and friends while watching the sun go down over the Gulf of Mexico. If the conditions are perfect who knows you might even see the green flash!!